This is a question I hear often. Daily stressors, lack of exercise, dehydration, poor diet, insufficient sleep, allergies and many other things affect how we feel. While it’d be wonderful to have a relaxing life eating a nutrient-rich diet in a stress-free utopia, we have to do the best we can with what we have available. To help ensure you’re getting the nutrients your body needs and craves, I’ve compiled a list that will help improve how you feel and your overall quality of life.
The 7 best supplements to take on a daily basis:
1. Multivitamin/Mineral Supplement…Most of us are marginally deficient in one thing or another but unsure of what. A multivitamin generally fills in the gaps and in low enough of a dose that it eliminates concern for toxicity. I recommend taking a whole food-based formula, they are easier to digest and usually don’t cause stomach upset like some of the others. You can also take them between meals enhancing the convenience factor.
2. Vitamin D…Most Americans are deficient in vitamin D. What this means is that we simply aren’t getting ample sunlight that our body needs to produce vitamin D. It is essential for proper immune functioning. I recommend asking your doctor to test your vitamin D levels. If you are deficient, eliminate involuntary ‘down-time’ by taking vitamin D.
3. Probiotics…With the growing number of food allergies, the overuse of antibiotics and the multitude of toxins in our food and environment, our guts need our help. The friendly bacteria in probiotic supplements help our digestive systems fight infection and keep bowel issues from developing or getting worse. Yes, I said bowel issues. I recommend opting for a probiotic formula that has upwards of 5 billion CFUs. Your gut will thank you, I promise.
4. Vitamins A, C & E…With the amount of free radicals, stress and toxins our bodies experience daily, protecting our bodies on a cellular level is key. These immune-enhancing antioxidants help to maintain cellular health and aid in repair. Plus they’ve been known to slow the aging process and who doesn’t want that?
5. Vitamin B Complex…This will help boost your energy and aid your body in adapting to stress. Plus it doesn’t hurt to pop a couple of vitamin B’s after a night of imbibing your favorite cocktail.
6. Fish Oil…Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, fish oil is a powerful anti-inflammatory that is beneficial for optimal brain functioning and cardiovascular health. You don’t want to go cheap on this one – I suggest getting a high quality bottle in liquid form. And yes, it tastes just like you think it does with a little lemony flavor added. I recommend taking it at the beginning of a meal. And for the herbivores out there flaxseed oil is a livable substitute.
7. Greens Powder…Our bodies can become quite acidic which sets the perfect stage for disease to come in and set up shop. Chlorophyll, the substance you remember from studying photosynthesis in sixth grade, is known for its blood-building and detoxifying properties. Regularly eating leafy greens which are abundant in chlorophyll, helps restore balance to our pH by alkalinizing our bodies. When your schedule doesn’t allow for fresh spinach or kale every morning, a greens drink will do the job. Keep in mind this green love potion is not meant to replace your leafy greens intake; it just adds support.
Cheers to your health! Please email me with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.